The detained former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, told the Federal High Court in Abuja, that he could no long remember the details of the N400m which he gave to a former National Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh, in 2014.
It is the first time Dasuki would be physically asked questions relating to his alleged diversion of funds meant for arms procurement into presidential campaigns of the then ruling PDP in 2015.
Dasuki entered the witness box as Metuh’s eighth defence witness after Justice Okon Abang earlier dismissed the ex-NSA’s application seeking an adjournment pending the determination of his motion in relation to the subpoena issued on him pending before the Court of Appeal.
Dasuki, who has been in the custody of the Department of State Services since December 2015, was produced in court by the agency’s operatives on Wednesday following an application by Metuh that the ex-NSA be summoned.
Led in evidence by Metuh’s lawyer, Mr. Emeka Etiaba (SAN), Dasuki said he could not remember the details of the payment of N400m, which is part of the subjects of the charges instituted against Metuh.
He said his incarceration for about two years had deprived him of access to documents that could help him to give any meaningful evidence.
When asked to give the details about the payment, Dasuki said, “That will be very difficult for me to give any details of the money paid to Chief Olisa Metuh and the second defendant (Destra Investment Limited) without reference to my records.
“Three years is a long time.”
Asked when he could have access to his records, Dasuki said, “I have stated earlier that I have been in custody for two years. As soon as authorities decide to obey the subsisting court orders.
“I have four bail court orders and an ECOWAS Court ruling. When they release me, I can go through the records.
”That is when I will be able to give a timeline.
As long as I am in detention, the answer is I don’t know.”